Monday, November 8, 2010

A Play of the Disabled

The Boys Next Door has opened my eyes so much. I have run across many mentally disabled people in my life so far. I always feel sorry for them thinking how it must be so sad for them that they cannot live normal lives. This play has proved me wrong. Even thought this play is fictional, it showed me that these men lived somewhat normal lives. They had small jobs where they felt needed and were happy to work for. These men, Arnold, Lucien, Norman, and Barry, all had these dreams and goals for themselves. They had a hunger for adventure and were full of curiosity.
When I first started this play, I thought it was kind of mean that they would have a play making fun of people with mental problems. They are very funny people. Their stories are so funny. I felt bad that I was laughing at them because of their handicap, but what they were doing, like trying to catch the mouse and teaching golf lessons, made me laugh so much.
This story makes me see people with mental disabilities in a different light because I see that it is not mean to laugh at some of the things they do. I should not be freaked out to talk to them. I thought that Jack was a brave man dealing with this people every day. He practically gave up so much of his life to dedicate it to them. He speaks to them normally, so to say. He understands what they are up to and helps them when they need it. He dictates a lot of the things they do so that they will not go into harm’s way.
I really like this story so far. I wish that it had ended better for them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment