Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Hope
So this week, we finished Act II of The Boys Next Door. I thought it was a great book. I actually felt really bad for these characters, just to know that they could not live normal lives. I know that what they said so many funny things. I felt bad because they got so frustrated with some people, like Barry and not understanding the golf student. They want to succeed, but they do not understand why they do not at times. The conversation in class was interesting. When one of the girls mentioned how her cousin had to do deal with a problem similar to the characters, I thought of my little cousin. I call him Nicky. He is seven years old and has a form of autism. No one in my family really knew he had a problem till he was about two. He had trouble talking. He could only make noises and he did not act like a normal two year old would. He still has trouble talking but he communicates more through self-expression. I love how he is so loving, always running up to me and saying “I love you Vicky” with a huge smile, and then gives me a hug and kisses every five minutes. It hurts me to think that he might have trouble in the future living a normal life because of this problem. I want him to live a normal life like everyone else. This play, in a way, even though it is fictional, gives me hope to think that he can live a normal life. I want Nick to have a happy future because I love him so with everything in me. I think I might just read this play again and dive more into the characters. I want to understand them more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I liked the story in chapel this morning about the guy with down syndrome, Andy. An entire ministry was started for Haiti just because he shared a passion that God had laid on his heart. =~)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this, Vicky. I agree with you that the characters in the story made me a little sad, but I think it's great that it's given you hope for your cousin!
ReplyDelete