Tuesday’s class was quite interesting. I did not expect that we would go outside the late half of the class. I actually like when we get to do that, but that day was kind of humid.
Anyways, I found Mary Oliver’s poems to be quite interesting. I have this idea that the shorter the poem, the more complex its hidden meaning is. The last poem on the packet, The Uses of Sorrow, made me think for a bit about what each word is symbolic of. What is she talking about? Who is she talking about? What made her realize that darkness was a gift? Who gave her darkness? What else is she referring to when she says “too”? There are just so many questions I would love to figure out. I know I will be studying this poem more later, since it is kind of late.
My favorite poem that I read from her definitely has to be Walking Home from Oak-Head. I thought it was beautiful. I love the talk of snow and winter time, especially this time of the year since it is so close to the holidays. From this poem I love the quotes “Whenever I get home-whenever-somebody loves me there. Meanwhile I stand in the same dark peace as any pine tree” and also “my shoulders covered in stars”. I think what she is talking about in this poem is how she wants to find love one day. She feels peaceful being alone now, but hopes to one day walk into a warm house with her family in it. It is pretty much what she dreams about and wishes for, hence her “shoulders covered in stars”.
I really liked standing outside reading and listening to nature. It was nice when the sun hid behind the clouds and the breezes came along. It was quite a peaceful experience that I hope we can do more off.
I really enjoyed Mary Oliver's poems, as well. I'm not usually a poetry person, either. I also had questions about her last poem. It is very interesting, but it was so short there wasn't much there to help you figure out what she meant.
ReplyDeleteI was trying to analyze the last poem also. It really made me think! But yeah, I agree about going outside also. It was really nice.
ReplyDelete