Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Life Changing Moment

I did not get a chance to go to AFI event a few weeks ago. I had heard so many wonderful testimonials about how it was. I had heard that they were having a Thanksgiving card making day and I wanted to volunteer to help. I felt inside that I should go and volunteer there. That morning, I left with Shantel, Cole, and Casey. I felt a little hesitant about volunteering, since I knew there were so many mentally handicap people there. I did not know if I would understand their behaviors or even feel comfortable around them. When we walked into the room, they greeted us and it was just a sea of smiles. I took one look at them and fell in love with them. It hit me that they are human beings; they are just little kids in grownup bodies. At first, I had sat away from them but then they wanted us to help them make the cards. I did not feel too comfortable at first but then, I began to talk to them as they talked to me. They were so nice and sweet. I met 3 lovely ladies who I sat down and spoke with a little more. They were very curious about me and asked them some questions about their lives. I wanted to know what life is like for them. They all had sad responses. My heart went out to them. One lady showed me a picture of her daughter and granddaughter. They do not keep in much contact with her. She told me how much she misses them. Another one told me how she wakes up depressed every morning. I left her with some encouraging words. I loved helping them make their cards. I found it interesting how none of them knew how to tie knots, but they could do almost everything else. And then there was an old man that caught my attention. I wish that I could have talked to him more. He looked like he belonged in Hollywood and have his own star. He just looked like an old time actor. He was very clean cut and tidy. I am actually going to begin a story about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment