Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Letters

St. Paul’s Letter to the Philippians was a great read. I like the Professor Corrigan took away the numbers so we could focus more on the text. It really helped me concentrate more on what I was reading. He also said something that I liked. He said something along the lines that people focus so much more on the verses then what was actually said. They know what a certain verse says, but do they know everything else surrounding that verse? He really had me thinking on that one. Maybe I just might start reading the Bible this way.
St. Paul uses a great amount of figurative language. I believe though that many things he said can be taken as literal instead of being viewed as metaphorically, such as dying to oneself. There are so many metaphors and so much figurative language that I do not even want to count. I believe that metaphors are used so much in this letter in order to get people to think. It helps people stay focused on the subject, especially this subject. St. Paul is trying to show people how it is to be a true follower of Jesus. Jesus is a man whose life and his lessons are hard to explain without metaphors and figurative language.
The more I keep learning about figurative language and metaphors, the more quickly I can understand what I am reading. The Bible is definitely the book full of both of these things where you can grasp so many interpretations from what you read. God came down to earth in a bodily form and took the time to see what he felt and everything else. We should take the time to try to understand Jesus and what He meant with what He said and what He inspired others with.

No comments:

Post a Comment