Monday, September 13, 2010

Death and All Its Friends

So it took my cousin and me an hour and a half to find this cemetery. The sky was pretty overcast and there was a light rain. The sun was trying to shine through the clouds but it only made the sky look pink and a light yellow. It was the perfect for an afternoon at the cemetery. It was such a tiny cemetery. Its location was kind of random to me. When we were asking some locals where the cemetery was, they did not even recognize the name of the place. We came across a couple, after an hour, who said that they knew of a small old cemetery nearby. Thank God it turned out to be the right one. We drove the car into the tiny street and saw so many old graves. We spent a while looking at a few dates on them. The dates, to me, did not reach as far back as others I have seen, like in the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee. I saw that many dates were from the 1800 and 1900’s. My cousin snapped a few photos of me around the graveyard. I tried not to smile in them and be serious, but that was kind of hard since I was having a rare excitingly good day. I took a few pictures of some graves that seemed to be really old. There was a small breeze that blew by and things kind of creepy. As I taking pictures, I did not really notice that I was on a red ant pile and was attacked by them. It stung. Really bad. I really did not like being there. I never visit cemeteries, but this was a very interesting one. It seems to be forgotten about by the people living around here, which is sad in a way.

1 comment:

  1. I was like that too. I didn't want to smile, but then I felt weird if I didn't it seems like we shouldn't smile at a cemetery, but I think it is ok to.

    ReplyDelete