Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Omelas, Omelas

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas is an interesting passage. When I began reading it, I fell in love with the description. It contains many vivid and interesting metaphors. When I read the 3rd paragraph I immediately thought of a utopian empire. This area has no leader, yet they live a much better life then we do. This passage makes them seem well off and not having a war mentality and them not even letting the media influence them. I feel like the author is trying to tell people of a place that seemed to exist long ago, but he says that it is still alive today. Maybe he can be talking about a certain decade or any time period, prior to the currant day that was happy and orderly. “They were mature, intelligent, passionate adults whose lives were not wretched.” As I read on further, I can see that the main theme here can be how true happiness is achieved. The people from Omelas are simple; it is the simple things in life that make them happy, unlike anywhere where else where it is all about luxury, etc. I am half asleep, so I am trying to understand why in the world he is talking about nude priest and other nude people. Is Omelas a nudist utopian colony? I like his idea of no government and no one ruling over you. It is every man for himself; man dictates what it wrong and what is right. I wonder what kind of festival is going on that he keeps talking about. The ending of this story was very interesting. He says that people walk away from a joyous place, to some other place that is not even imaginable. He says it might not even exist, which is ironic because Omelas seems more like the non existent place. Maybe he is talking about their unimaginably harsh reality; their wretched real lives. Omelas is a much easier place to imagine than a bad place.

No comments:

Post a Comment